Friday, June 24, 2022

Travel Tips & Traveling FAQs

Because instead of a quinceñera, I wanted to travel; and I thank my parents for making my first trip to Italy & France possible at the age of 15! The thought of seeing my parents struggle to pay what they felt necessary to fulfill a tradition (no thank you), was not something I envisioned and have always been too considerate to accept. To each their own, pero yo Laura Luzbeth Coria-Herrera, just saw much more excitement in traveling the world than to be a princess for a night dressed up in a pink poofy dress (grew up with four older bros too so like nah bro) and also because I've always had a tendency for unconventionality. 

And boy am I grateful for that experience because I have been consumed by wanderlust ever since! I have been bitten by an infectious, yet extremely satisfying, travel bug that puts me in all kinds of wanderful spells. I continuously want more and can't get enough! It's like the Pringles commercial: "Once you pop, you can't stop!"

I want to add that my oldest nephew and niece both opted for a trip to Europe (in 2014 and 2019) instead of a quince or a Sweet 16th; I'm one PROUD Tía! I have always been passionate about traveling that's why I was determined to organize five educational tours for my students and family. I have been fortunate to take my nephew, niece, mother, a Tía, my husband and several students to Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Monaco, Costa Rica and New York City! Traveling is definitely the best education... and the best way to celebrate and enjoy your vacations! 

So as I continue acquiring experience as a travelette, I want to share some travel tips/ reminders that I wish I knew about before and also provide answers to those frequently asked questions I get from family and friends.  

***(DRUM ROLL, s'il vous plait)***

Tip #1: Start searching flights as soon as you feel an itch to travel! How early should you look into flights? It is usually best within 7 to 12 weeks for domestic flights and more than 14 weeks for international flights. Shoot to book early, but keep in mind that too early can also be as expensive as booking too late. What day is best to book on? Tuesdays are ideal for booking but mainly just aim for mid-week! Although, if you're feeling spontaneous you'll disregard this tip and let your instincts take over; as long as you TRAVEL, it's all gouda! 

Tip #2: I wish someone had told be about getting a travel card before! Although my first choice was Barclay's and I got denied, my second choice (United Airlines) approved me for credit and I've enjoyed so many perks as a card member. I'd recommend to do some research first about which travel card has the best to offer at-the-moment before you apply. For example, I applied to Barclay's first because according to my research and recommendations it was the best at that time plus I liked that I was going to be able to get miles from various airlines; BUT, since I got turned down I started to compare my airline experiences along with airline prices and felt United Airlines was the best fit for me. I have friends who enjoy the American Airlines and Southwest Airlines travel cards, so find one that best fits your preferences! 

Update 2022: I am on the brink of canceling my United Card after about 9 years! Just because a card worked for you at one point, doesn't mean it will always be the best bet. The annual fee and the weak reward system compared to the competition was the reason for my decision. Thank you, it's been good... but Bye! ✌

The bottom line is that travel cards create more travel opportunities and incentives. 

What I loved* about my United MileagePlus Explorer Card is: 
  1. My first checked luggage is free!
  2. Priority boarding! 
  3. No fees on foreign transactions!
  4. I received 30,000 bonus miles when I spent $1,000 in the first 3 months I opened my account.  This was enough for a free round-trip but I ended up using the miles for an expensive night at a hotel for my bro's bachelor party weekend. So, I love how I can use miles however I want!
  5. I earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United and earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
  6. Each year I receive two United Club passes, which honestly I just started to use, and WOWZERS! WHAT A TREAT! In the United Club lounge I enjoy complimentary beverages (including house beer and house wine), snacks, comfy sofa chairs, free Wi-Fi and much more which I will check out on my next stay.
Now that I've stayed in the United Club lounge, I don't think I can go back to regular seats by the gate. I'm kidding! Although I love that high-class feeling, I do have a picture to prove I'm not always about that hoity-toity, pretentious lifestyle! 


Instead of renting a hotel, my cousin and I slept at the (BUF) Buffalo Niagara International Airport for a few hours. 
This brings me to tip número tres

Tip #3: Try and purchase a NECK PILLOW! A neck pillow is PERFECT for traveling because sometimes you just gotta get some zzz's wherever you are! I recommend a neck pillow you can clip on to your backpack.  


Trust me, I've slept in so many random places and I'm so thankful for this little guy!

Tip #4: Carry a blanket! You never know if the plane ride or the airport will be freezing and it's better going prepared. I'd recommend carrying one that you can roll up easily and fit in your backpack. 


Tip #5: No drinks or coffee before entering security check! Don't bother spending on overpriced airport bottled water or coffee before security check because they're going to make you throw it away! Just recently I had forgotten I had a can of coconut water in my purse and while I waited in line I chugged it down cause it's way too good to throw away! 

Lately I've been carrying an empty bottle that as soon as I pass security check I fill up with free H2O so I can stay hydrated and also avoid paying for overpriced airport bottled water! 

Tip #6: What exactly can you carry-on? The weight and dimensions of your carry-on luggage depends on the airline. So here's a Web site that shows what's allowed on each airline: http://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/ 

usually travel with two personal items (a purse and a backpack) and regardless, anything you carry on will all be subject to TSA's 3.4-ounce limit. Make sure that the liquids you have with you are 3.4 oz or less and in a Ziploc. Just like the bottled water and coffee, if your liquids don't comply with this they are going in the trash!

Tip #7: What can I carry in my checked luggage? You can pretty much pack anything you feel you absolutely need. Now, if there's something you feel may not be allowed I recommend calling the airline beforehand because if you have to ask, then it's probably questionable for them too. Remember that your checked luggage will be screened and can be subject to physical inspection if something looks suspicious. You don't want to open your luggage and find it torn up like if Taz had just been in there.  

Liquids in your checked luggage can be any size, but I'd recommend wrapping every liquid in a Ziploc in case it leaks! You CAN travel with aerosol cans but I wouldn't recommend it since with the altitude and pressure they can pop; but if you absolutely need to, wrap it in something that can absorb a leak then wrap a Ziploc or grocery bag around it as well. 

Tip #8: Pack as light as possible because remember that you'll be carrying your luggage from place to place! I HIGHLY recommend a spinner luggage! A spinner luggage is a luggage with four wheels that rotate 360-degrees and that you can push around easily unlike the two-wheeled luggage you have to tilt, carry and drag. There are definitely pros and cons about this luggage, so as always, this depends on your preference... but I LOVE it! 

I'm amazed with those who can pack everything in a small carry-on luggage because even after years of traveling I still need my checked luggage with me! I promise I've gotten better at packing light and folding clothes a certain way so I can make the best use of space, but being spontaneous I tend to change my plans last minute (I once turned a 7-day trip into 19-day trip...) so I come prepared for anything! 

This may blow your mind, but you can always buy products wherever you're traveling to... WHOA! This of course depending on where you’re traveling to since products may be more expensive there. 

Tip #9: Make photocopies of your passports or IDs. Keep a copy at home and another in your luggage. In case you lose your passport/ ID or you get your purse/ wallet stolen, this will be a lifesaver for you to have a return flight home. 

Tip #10: Download the apps for the respective airline you'll be flying with. This way you're able to track your plane, check in ahead of time and get immediate updates on any flight changes. 


Hopefully these travel tips were helpful! Please feel free to hit me up if you have a question and I'll get back at you as soon as possible, but... "If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment